The new year is here, and we thought it would be useful to provide job-hunting tips for South West-based nursery workers in 2023.
Jobseekers in the Early Years sector have numerous opportunities this January and throughout the year!
Nursery settings in the South West are currently in need of support from flexible nursery workers who are seeking temporary contracts or permanent roles.
There are a few key points to remember when looking for temporary and permanent job positions in nursery settings during 2023.
- Look at your core skills and interests to ensure that they align with the requirements of working in the Early Years sector. (caring, patient, and creative flair for making learning activities fun).
- It is important to have a natural interest in working with babies, toddlers and children of preschool age. This will help when applying for nursery roles that require specific age ranges for candidates to accommodate.
- Writing a strong CV is essential in securing interviews with nursery settings. Ensure you highlight all your childcare experience in order of start/end dates to show a continuous history of education and employment.
Visit here to get free advice on how to write the perfect CV for nurseries.
- Be confident in your ability to express yourself well at an interview. Any nursery setting will want to see a capable and professional candidate.
For top tips on how to apply for nursery jobs, please read this.
- Have a clear idea of which Early Years approach resonates with you when it comes to applying for each nursery setting.
Nursery settings use different approaches, including Montessori, Steiner, High Scope, Forest School, and others. By working in a setting that matches your values, you are far more likely to find job satisfaction in your role.
To find out more about different Early Years approaches, please visit here.
- Be clear with yourself on the type of flexibility you can offer in a nursery setting. For example, do you want to work five days per week, or fit full-time hours into a four-day working week.
- Utilise the skills, contacts and experience of a consultant working at Early Years recruitment agencies in the South West such as Class Recruitment.
Early Years recruitment consultancies can be an ideal resource to help candidates find suitable nursery work, whether that's a temporary or permanent role.
A good Early Years job agency will help candidates to 'try out' a range of nursery settings in a temporary role, this can be great to build up your nursery experience.
It also helps candidates to decide which setting they like working in best before committing to either an ongoing role or taking on a permanent position if that’s what they wish to do.
Read this to find out what to expect from a reputable and experienced Early Years recruitment consultancy.
Visit here to access our free resources for candidates.
We are always available to have an informal chat with new or experienced nursery job candidates and can be reached on 0117 930 4000 or by visiting here.